Shopify has strict requirements when it comes to the size of the images that are uploaded to your store. Especially if you plan on using it as an e-commerce platform to sell your products online.
Uploading images that are too small or incorrect dimensions will lead to displaying blurry images on your store, which will turn off your customers and could potentially cause you to lose sales.
Since this can be hard to figure out on your own, here’s a complete guide on Shopify image sizes that will tell you exactly what you need to know.
Best Shopify Image Sizes that are You Should Use
As an eCommerce business owner, you can create your business site by using their eCommerce platform. We know, images play a massive look in e-commerce. Your website may look unprofessional if you upload wrong sized images.
Besides, your conversion rates could suffer, or worse, people might not take you seriously as a business.
Here, is a table that includes different image types, widths, and heights in pixels.
|Width x Height (pixels)
|32 x 32
|It should be on transparent background. Png File.
|400 x 100
|Transparent PNG file.
|100 x 50
|Transparent PNG file.
|250 x 200
|Transparent PNG file.
|Images on Megamenu
|360 x 360
|Banner images, featured image, Shop background image
|1800 x 1000
|Newsletter popup image
|425 x 425
|840 x 840
|Product images, Collection images
|1024 x 1024
|800 x 800
|Slideshow banner images, Testimonials image
|1600 x 1000
|Blog page, Contact page top banner
|1800 x 800
|Checkout page banner
|1800 x 300
|Login page background image
|1600 x 1000
|Full-width background image
Attracting buyers with product images include editing, retouching, resizing images professionally. If that is overwhelming to you, then, here is a thing…
Clipping Path Universe is working with numerous eCommerce stores, as an offshore product photo editing assistant. Learn more about our photoshop services.
Importance of Maintaining Image Sizes
Let us think about the experience of the customers when they shop in an online store. They cannot feel the products themselves.
And with the vast plethora of online products, they will not want to read reviews about every product. What they will do is check out the products that catch their eyes.
So, is it only the quality of the photo that matters? No, other factors affect customers’ experience.
The product will not catch a customer’s eye if the photo is too small. And it will get in the way of their shopping if the image is too big.
So, it has to be the perfect size for a product to catch a buyer’s attention. You will also have to take the buyer’s patience into account.
They will not wait forever for your page to load. If it takes too long, they may opt for another store. So, you have to make sure that your images’ file sizes are not too big.
And finally, you would want your product images to be detailed. That way, the customers will feel like your products are on display.
They can also check out the details of all your products without focusing on every product. These may seem like a lot. Fortunately, there are plenty of tools, tips, and tricks to help you deal with these issues.
How to Make your Shopify Images Perfect?
The answer will be simple, you can make them perfect by uploading and displaying them according to the image uploading guideline.
- When you are thanking images, be aware of the image dimensions, so that everything works perfectly.
- People want to see the product in detail, make sure that images can be zoomed in. If you want to have that feature active on a specific image, 2048 x 2048 square images are the best option.
- Cropping & resizing some photo editing techniques is extremely helpful. You should use these techniques to obtain more clarity of a product.
- The objective is to showcase the product in such a manner that it can attract customers and increase sales. The universal product to background ratio of the eCommerce images is 8:10.
Ideal Shopify Image Sizes
If you were hoping for one right answer to this question, there is none. The size of the images depends on the type of theme you use in your store.
Shopify offers a wide variety of themes to its listed stores. These themes make use of different styles and sizes of photos.
So, in the end, you have to decide on the size of your product images after you choose a theme. However, you should check out other stores and get a feel for which concepts best suit your store.
Every Shopify theme contains a recommended size. You should look into those recommendations. And try to make your decisions while keeping the limitations into account.
- You can upload images with a size of up to 20 MB.
- And the highest resolution can be 4472 x 4472 pixels.
- However, the recommended product dimensions are 2048 x 2048 pixels for square-shaped product photos.
These high-resolution photos will give your store a well-rounded and professional look. You can also zoom in on these photos. And these photos are less likely to slow your page down.
Maintaining a uniform look can work in your favor. Keeping the height and width aspect ratio of all your feature photos the same may help you achieve that. Since a featured image is the first thing that a customer will see, it will give your store a polished look.
Shopify Image Uses
You need to know how you will use your images. Business owners use these images in three primary ways in Shopify. They are as follows.
- Slideshow Image Sizes
- Collection Image Sizes
- Product Image Sizes
Shopify Slideshow Image Size
Slideshow Images are the most viewed images for any store. For any visitor that enters your store, your slideshow images will be the first thing that they see. So, to make a strong first impression, you have to present your visitors with an excellent slideshow image. And you should, as first impressions matter.
The recommended image sizes are 1200px to 2000px width, and 400px to 600px height.
While large files can negatively affect your store, you have to post your best-quality images for your slideshow images. Your store’s slideshow images are the only place where you can compromise that. You should opt for a high-resolution image for your slideshows, even if it slows down your store a bit.
That is because these high-quality images will present you to any newcomer. They will help you create a positive impression on your clients at first glance.
In this case, your focus should be more on quality rather than the slideshow image size. However, high-quality images do not translate into bigger files. There are ways you can optimize your photos to retain quality while reducing file size.
Shopify Collection Image Size
Your store’s collection images represent a collection of your products. As a result, the product image size is entirely dependent on your products.
One thing to keep in mind, you should keep their sizes consistent with each other. Doing so will give them a uniform look. And since these photos are together, anyone can compare them very easily.
The Shopify platform can handle size 4472 x 4472 px, or 20 megapixels, and have a file size smaller than 20 MB. However, the recommendation is 2048 x 2048 px.
Another quality you will want to add is that these photos should be coherent with each other. Make sure that these photos have a consistent height-to-width ratio.
By maintaining consistency among the image dimensions and sizes, you can give your store a more polished and focused look.
Shopify Product Image Size
Although slideshow images are the first thing your clients will see, your store’s main attraction is the product images. The product image’s job is to make sure that clients who drop in the store buy something.
Use 800×800 (at least), 1000×1000, 1200*1200 or any squire size up to 4472 x 4472 px. However, 2048 x 2048 is the most used Product Image Size.
In the case of product images, keeping them simple is the best method. You can have quality images with simple backgrounds that flatter your products.
And it is better to use square-shaped photos when it comes to product images. It is because there are a lot of people who shop using their mobiles.
And you will find square images easier to reposition for smaller screens.
Shopify offers the zoom function for images that have a resolution of at least 800 x 800 pixels. So, you will want to go for product images of 800 x 800 pixels and above. That way, your clients will be able to zoom in on the photos that interest them.
What Image Format is Best for Shopify Website?
When it comes to the file formats, you have quite a few options on your hands. There are a few formats that we use in product photography. And each of them has different qualities. So, you have to make a decision based on what merits you the most.
1. JPG (JPEG)
The most commonly used digital photo file format is JPG. This format’s main feature is that it sports a small file size while offering a wide color range.
JPG offers image compression that allows you to maintain a delicate balance between image quality and file size. Shopify recommends its listed store to use the JPG format while showcasing products.
That way, they can keep the file size small while maintaining quality. As a result, the stores do not slow down, and the images can attract clients.
The GIF format uses lossless compression, so the quality of the image remains intact. But, it uses indexed color to store data. That is why it has a limitation of being able to use a maximum of 256 colors.
PNG is an improvement upon the GIF file format. Its developers manufactured PNG to improve the GIF format by removing the GIF format’s limitations.
The upside of using PNG file formats is that they are widely accepted. Like GIF format, the PNG files also use lossless compression.
So, the quality remains intact while reducing the file size. They are also suitable for transparent backgrounds. However, because of its lossless compression, the PNG files can be immense. Also, it is not as universally compatible as JPG.
The TIFF format is widely popular among the publishing industry, graphic artists, and photographers. The reason for its popularity is its lossless compression.
And it also offers a range of web applications and editing features. But, they may be unsuitable for your store as the file size tends to be large.
The developers introduced the BMP image format in Windows. But it is now available on both Macs and PCs. The BMP format uses no compression system while storing data for images.
This method allows for BMP images to offer higher quality and crisper graphics. However, it also produces significantly large files.
Now that you know about these formats, you should choose them accordingly. For example, JPG format should be your choice when combining decent quality with smaller file sizes.
On the other hand, if you are okay with a high-quality photo at the cost of a larger file size, you should choose the PNG format.
How to Optimize Shopify Image File Size for Different Device?
So, now you have gotten familiar with your store images’ shapes, formats, and dimensions. Let us focus on image sizes.
While high-quality images may be your focus, that is not all there is to your images. The file sizes also affect your store’s performance. Especially, on-site speed and responsiveness.
That is because they are the primary factor of your store’s loading speed. There are many free online tools that you can use to check your page’s loading speed.
So, is your only option to sacrifice image quality for file size? No, it is not. As we have already mentioned before, high-quality images do not mean large file sizes.
- You should use different ways to optimize your photos to maintain a balance between quality and size.
- Also, upload imagers with right extention.
For example, you can compress your images. That way, they will not take up much space. But do keep in mind that this method works best for JPG files.
But be careful about reducing your file size. Your goal is to reduce file size without degrading the quality of the file much.
There are free photo optimizing apps you can use to resize your photos. However, they can mess up the quality of your photos. You should consider taking professional assistance for your optimization needs.
For optimizing your image you can use either any tools below.
- Photoshop: When saving the final image, use “Ctrl+ALT+Shift+S” insted of “Ctrl+ S”. And this will let you save for web.
- Use online Image Comparessor: You can use image compressor or tinypng to compress yout images. To do that just upload the image and click compress. It will do the compressing for you. Now you just need to download it again.
Sizing Images For Mobile
Customers shop through both mobile and PC platforms. That is why Shopify automatically resizes your product images for smaller screens.
But it is sometimes necessary to manually edit some pictures.
Do note that there are two main differences between PC and mobile screens. One is the apparent difference in sizes. And the other is that they have opposite orientations.
So, to assist with cropping, you can use square-shaped images for your store.
Images with considerably large resolutions can come out blurry when cropped for mobile. It is better to keep your photos in a more manageable shape and size.
That way, your store will gain a better look through all platforms. Also, a larger file size will slow your store down.
And the speed of internet connections may vary. If your store loses efficiency, you may lose out on your customers. Even more so in the case of mobile phone users because their time is of the essence. So, it is a good idea to optimize your photos.
Even though Shopify can optimize your store to suit all platforms, it is better to help them in the process. That way, you can offer your customers a smoother shopping experience. It can even translate into a higher conversion rate for your store.
Pro Tips for Image Sizing and Resizing
There are a few standard things you can follow to offer your shoppers a smoother experience.
1. Consistency in Image Ratio:
When it comes to your product image sizes, keeping a consistent height-to-width ratio is a good idea. Doing so will keep your store neat. It will also give your store a more polished and professional look.
2. Check Theme Guidelines
As we have already mentioned, Shopify offers its listed stores a wide variety of themes. Many of these themes come equipped with guidelines.
Be sure to check these themes for the recommended format and size. Some themes work better with larger images and some with small ones.
And by following these guidelines, you will get an idea about what photo you should use.
3. Mobile Adaptability
You will receive customers from not only PC users but mobile phone users as well. To keep these customers satisfied, you have to make sure that your store looks attractive on mobile platforms.
So, make sure to check how an image looks on mobile devices after uploading it. Shopify uses an algorithm that edits the desktop versions for the mobile platform.
But from time to time, you may need to edit some photos manually. An easy fix is to use square-shaped images.
4. Use Compressed Images
If you compress your images successfully, there will not be much difference in quality. Many will not even notice it. And even if they do, all the details will still be available so they will not complain.
But it will significantly reduce the size of the file. As a result, your page will load much faster. That way, you can offer your clients a more pleasant shopping experience.
5. Use Ideal Sizing
Once you have figured out what image sizes are most suitable for your store, make a note of it. And when you bring in professional photographers and editing services, you can inform them of it.
That way, they can make sure to give you the best output possible. Knowing the best size will save you a lot of time and trouble.
6. Use Announcement Banners
Using a banner to inform your clients about announcements is a good idea. There is a recommended banner image size.
Its width should be from 1200 to 2000 pixels, and height should range from 400 to 600 pixels. And make sure to include a header image.
The maximum header image size consists of a height of 250 pixels. But try to keep the height to 120 pixels.
Best Ways to Optimize Shopify Images
Before you begin creating your store, it’s essential to understand how images work on the platform, especially when they’re used in your product listings.
Small changes can have a big impact on your conversion rates, so it’s important to ensure that you’re providing an ideal shopping experience for your customers.
- Consistency in Thumbnails: Following one particular style to promote your products is a good idea. By doing so, you can give your store a more professional look. Also, it will help your store provide a more streamlined service to your clients.
- Use Videos of Products: You can implement videos to tell the story of your products. Videos will increase the time your clients spend on your page. They will also boost your conversion rate by creating a more substantial impact on the viewer. Videos are a great way to convince a customer to buy your product.
- Use Appropriate Background: You should use a background that puts the focus on your product. Without the use of proper backgrounds, your product will lose its charm. White background shots are the most popular ones. But you can experiment with colorful backgrounds for social media distribution.
- Use Your Words: Even though the search engines now are very advanced, they still cannot translate pixels into words. So, explain what your photos hold in detail.
While images will help you seal the deal, your customers cannot find you by pictures. That is why it is essential to make sure that the search engines know what your image entails. Try to use keywords in your alt text. But do not just cram them.
- Get Feedback: You may want to seek a second opinion about your photos. While you may be an expert, it will not hurt to get a second set of eyes on your store. You can ask your friends or family to help you out.
- Choose the Right File Type: Shopify recommends you to use JPEG format for your product images. It is better to take that path. And your next best option would be to use PNG photos, while they will be a bit heavy for your site. However, try to use the format that provides the highest quality for your slideshow images. You do not have to consider the banner image size.
- Trial & Error: It is a good idea to check out other stores before selecting a theme for yours. That way, you can determine what works best for your store. As there are many stores, you can limit your checking to those that offer the same products as your store. You can also try out different backgrounds and settings for your products. You can use various tools to make sure that you get the best outlook for your photos.
- Use AMP: Shopify provides you with the option to build Accelerated Mobile Pages or AMP. It will help you create quick loading pages for mobile devices. And since you have a vast client base that operates through mobile devices, you must make your page mobile-friendly.
- Use A Responsive Theme: When deciding on a theme, choose and download a more responsive one. While there are many elegant themes available, they will lead to a slower page-loading time. But if you use a theme that the developers have optimized for performance, it will increase your page’s efficiency.
- Reduce the Number of Installed Shopify Apps: Many apps keep working in the background resulting in a slower store. So, go through your list of installed apps. And if you find any that you are no longer using, remove them. It will help your store increase its efficiency.
Online businesses are becoming part and parcel of our life. And Shopify is a fantastic platform where you can showcase your products. By taking advantage of its beautiful themes, you can make your products look more alluring than they are. And it all depends on your product photos. They have the power to make or break your business.
Before you create your online store, you have to know the dos and don’ts. And if you want to start your store in Shopify, you have to know the image sizes requirements.
And they are not only for your visitors. They are also a crucial factor in your store’s ranking. Only by finding the right combinations of image sizes and product dimensions can you outgrow your competitors.
So, we hope that our article has helped you gain insight into some of this necessary information. Now, hurry up and start working on making your online store successful.